How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6422
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How does the enforcement of a. Court order work? If she

Customer Question

How does the enforcement of a. Court order work? If she lives in Arizona and I live in Illinois. And Illinois has jurisdiction she would have to file a motion in Illinois right
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome! My name is Maverick. Please give me a few minutes to analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

If this is a divorce related matter where the divorce was filed in IL and that is where the divorce decree issued, then the IL court has what is known as continuing jurisdiction since at least one of you still lives there. So, under these fact, yes, she would have to file an enforcement action in IL even if she now lives in AZ.

Note: (1) Just Answer’s site disclaimers apply to all levels of service; (2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) If we are done, please assign a feedback rating so Just Answer will compensate me. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a court date of 8-15-16 and if she doesn't show up what happens?
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Then, she will have no evidence and arguments to support her side of the story and thus you should win by default.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok if that happens what will the judge ask from me will he want a petition of what I want and if so how would I write a petition like that
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

I am happy to assist you further on this for an additional fee of $5.00. If that works for you, please accept the offer of additional services and send me a note when you are done so I know to come back to this question. Thank you.