How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bill Attorney Your Own Question
Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1037
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Bill Attorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How many times can my ex try to have me served papers before

Customer Question

how many times can my ex try to have me served papers before i have to accept
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Bill Attorney replied 11 months ago.


Dear Customer ,

Thank you for your question today and it is my pleasure to be of assistance to you today. The use of this forum will not constitute any lawyer-client relationship but is strictly legal information provided by me to you. After taking my opinion on board, you should further consult with local attorney, who will be able to assess your information based on local laws and a complete interview.

I will do my utmost to answer your question as accurately as possible. If I require additional information, I will ask you and please provide as much as is convenient and possible in your circumstances.

In return, after I’ve answered your question, PLEASE RATE THE SERVICE POSITIVELY BEFORE LEAVING, this ensures that I get a credit for my answer.

Alternatively, you may follow up with me on your question until you sufficiently understand and are happy with the explanation of the law, and THEREAFTER PLEASE RATE POSITIVELY.

I need some additional information.

Was service attempted by person or by mail ?

What do the proceedings pertain to ?

What happened so far ?

Thanks Bill

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the process was divorce and in person Im trying to slow down the process because I dont want divorce Was tried to be served in person last week
Expert:  Bill Attorney replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for this information.
I see you are trying to delay the matter for your own personal reasons.
However, be aware that service is effective if it is given to a person at your known residence over the age of 15. You should know this. You can also be served in person at any other place, including your workplace.
The courts also allow a term known as constructive service, if for example after every effort, you still cannot be found.
This is done through a publishment in a local newspaper after consent from the family court has been obtained.
Im sorry to be the person telling you that all you can really hope for is to slow down the process.
I think this answers your question.
a POSITIVE RATING gives me a credit for providing you legal information today.
Best of luck
Expert:  Bill Attorney replied 11 months ago.
sorry, the last answer was for another customer.
Expert:  Bill Attorney replied 11 months ago.
I see it now. It was for you. There was a site glitch.
Best of luck
Expert:  Bill Attorney replied 11 months ago.

Dear Customer ,

I hope your day is going well and I'm sending this email to follow up on your question relating to service of a court process.

I need a POSITIVE RATING in order to get a credit for the information I supplied. I hope you feel I earned this, if not I will be happy to follow up with you on your question.