How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13506
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My former wife and I have been divorced for 10 years in

Customer Question

My former wife and I have been divorced for 10 years in Florida and have been co-parenting our 12 year old daughter since. We both agreed neither one if us could move with our daughter beyond our city without mutual permission or a court order. The last five years Marya has expressed her desire to move from Florida many times saying "she hates Florida".It has never been a concern to me until recently. Marya's hatred for Florida has become increasingly vocal and yesterday I overheard our daughter talking to a friend saying "mom and I hate Florida". Should I be concerned of undue influence?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed Florida lawyer. I am sorry you have been waiting awhile for assistance, but hope I can help.

When we talk about undue influence in terms of custody and visitation issues, what you're really speaking about is parental alienation. Parental alienation occurs when one parent does things like make disparaging or derogatory comments about the other parent in front of the child, refuses to abide by court ordered visitation, makes the child feel guilty for spending time with the other parent, or uses the child to communicate negative messages to the other parent ("mom says we can't go on vacation this year because you're a deadbeat who won't pay child support"). It doesn't sound like --at least from these facts -that there is parental alienation in this situation. However, I do think it would be a good idea for you to mention to the mother (and do it in email so you have a record of written correspondence) to please be careful about voicing her displeasure about Florida and desire to leave in front of your daughter because she is picking up on it, and that it is best an issue discussed between the two of you. If it builds up to where your daughter begins to resent you or she uses your daughter like a pawn to manipulate things, then that could be alienation.

If she really wants to move, well then she will have to abide by your terms that you both agreed to -but in the meantime it is perfectly reasonable to expect her to discuss this only with you. Your daughter is a minor and as such does not get to make the decision regarding relocating.

If you need clarification about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating. Thank you!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your response. My concern is
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 11 months ago.

The rest of your reply got cut off --your concern is - and then it doesn't say anything else?

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 11 months ago.

I will be signing off for the evening shortly, but will back online in the morning. If you should come back online and post the rest of your follow-up question, I'll be happy to answer it once back online. Thanks very much, and I look forward to assisting you further!

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 11 months ago.

Did you still need assistance with your question?