Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I live in missouri. My daughter is 15. My ex wife and I have

Customer Question
joint custody 50/50 but she...
I live in missouri. My daughter is 15. My ex wife and I have joint custody 50/50 but she is the primary parent. I want to move to another state. Can I take my 15 year old daughter with me without getting into legal trouble?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
8/7/2016
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

You will need a motion to modify custody here to allow you to be the primary parent and permission to relocate.You cannot do this under the existing orders.If you can show a change of circumstances as well as child wants to live with you then you can prevail here.

If you are paying support the other parent should pay you as the primary parent.

You will also have to address travel and who pays for that.You may have to pay for travel of the child to see other parent since you are the one moving away.You may want to consider a local lawyer where custody was heard to file the motion to modify here.Other parent may contest here and a lawyer to help you will improve your chances.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

Self help and forms if you have to file yourself pro se

http://www.selfrepresent.mo.gov/page.jsp?id=38335

Forms

http://www.selfrepresent.mo.gov/file.jsp?id=38349

Thanks again, if you can positive rate 5 stars when we are done it is always much appreciated.

Please let me know if you have more follow up.If you can positive rate 5 stars it is always much appreciated.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer