How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 10049
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A magistrate made recommendations in my child custody case

Customer Question

A magistrate made recommendations in my child custody case in Maryland and there were exceptions filed. What is the atatus of the recommendations from now to the exceptions hearing date?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Maryland
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Yes I have a lawyer but I may have misunderstood he says the other parent company hi ls keep the kids that I just let him have visitation for or a wewk
JA: What advice did they give you?
Customer: Other parent could keep kids and nothing I can do until the exceptions hearing. It was recommended I have full custody
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Lawyer knows everything. Other parent is drug addict and trying to keep my chikdrwn from me. Not married never have been recently left him and he dikes dull custody again at me. I bought him and won the magistrate hearing but he dikes exceptions now he is visiting with The children and I'm scared he won't give them back
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

The recommendations from the Magistrate remain in full force until the hearing; at that point the judge will be able to modify them; he is possibly allowing for this visitation to see how the other parent does with the child, to see if that parent should be given more visitation;

if the judge orders that you are to have custody, and the other parent retains the child after the exception hearing then that person is in contempt of court; and the judge can order that person to bring the child to court or to your residence so that custody can be reinstated.

Contempt is the willful and knowing violation of a court order-done with intent; the penalties may include fines (daily), attorney fee awards, even jail time - all done to encourage compliance.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars *****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have allowed a family visit for the children with their father. The exceptions hearing isn't until the end of September. The father is to return the children to me next week. Can he lawfully keep them?