How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2982
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am almost 70 and was married for 13 years. He is still

Customer Question

I am almost 70 and was married for 13 years. He is still working, was a deputy DA, now a judge. went to the social security office yesterday and asked how much of his social Security I was entitled to when he passes away. they said 150.00 dollars more. Now he has always paid almomey but when he dies I will lose my house. He has always worked and with good pay. I stayed home and raided the children After 13 years of marriage in Calif. we were divorced. What is an exspouce entitled to of their exhusbands social security. I never remarried.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. Thank you for using and I will get you an answer shortly.

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

A survivor benefit is 100% of the spouse's Social Security benefit. You can receive that benefit starting at age 60 as long as you have not remarried. Since you are age 69 and have not remarried, you would be eligible for your ex husband's full SS benefit. Understand one thing though, you do not get BOTH your own SS benefit AND his SS benefit (your survivor benefit). You ONLY get the higher of the two benefits. For example, if you receive $700 per month and he receives $850 per month, you would stop receiving your $700 benefit and start receiving ONLY his $850 benefit after his death. If he is a public employee, there is something called Windfall Elimination Provision which decreases his Social Security benefit because of his public pension. See link:

Also the Government Pension offset (GPO) will reduce a pension to your spouse or ex spouse by 2/3. See link:

This is probably why his pension is not what you expected it to be. But I am just guessing.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will be greatly appreciated.

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?

Related Family Law Questions