How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 10022
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do you file for abandonment against father of my child

Customer Question

How do you file for abandonment against father of my child he has not physically seen her in 5 years and has payed child support a total of 4 times in her entire life and she is now 7 yoa
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

The parent wishing to terminate the parental rights of the abandoning party would need to file a petition for termination of parental rights, based on the following statutes:

Here is a sample petition (this is filed by the state, but it can be modified, substituting the state for the parent requesting the termination)

Detail discussion here:

I am sorry you have to do this; that must be difficult for you and your child.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars *****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Hi- just checking in to see if you needed clarification on any of the above information. If so please post here (there is no additional charge for this) and I will do my best to get you the requested information.

Thank you!

Related Family Law Questions