How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118722
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter came from canada(school vacation) shes 12 yrs o

Customer Question

My daughter came from canada(school vacation) shes 12 yrs o lives w her mom in canada she won her custody(2009)but i never heard about that case my daughter born here in US and does not want return w her mom she wants stay w me she has many problems w mom in 04 22 16 tried to commit suicide .i dont want loose her if i keep her ill be in troubles? What can i do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately you could end up in trouble for just keeping her. You would need to go to court to get a court order to change custody and that means going to the court where the initial custody order was entered and you need to get a change of custody order. If you try to go to the US courts and it was a Canadian court order they are not going to be able to get involved. So you need an attorney in Canada to get the attorney to file for an emergency change of custody and then fight to get the custody changed to you.