Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My husband has joint custody of 3 kids ( his mother has

Customer Question
residential custody) the divorce order...
My husband has joint custody of 3 kids ( his mother has residential custody) the divorce order states a visitation schedule of every other weekend, holidays, ect. She up and moved about 4 hours away without notice. We do not even know the new address, and were not given the chance to see the kids prior. Is there anything that can be done? Can she move that far without permission from the court?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Correction-The kids mother has residential custody not his...
8/3/2016
Family Lawyer: Roger, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Roger, Attorney
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.Does the custody order restrict the other parent's right to move away, out of state, etc.?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I believe it may have stayed that if the mother wanted to move we would have to revisit location. I was also told the was a new Illinois law in which the other parent has to notify the other in writing at least 60 days prior?

Usually, court orders provide that if a parent moves a certain distance from the other parent or out of state, permission from the court is required.

If the order says that IF a parent wants to move that the court will have to "revisit" it, then it sounds like she'd need permission before moving. If that is the case, you could file a motion to hold her in contempt of court and ask the judge to order the child back.....or at the least.....to change the custody or visitation to accommodate the move.

Roger, Attorney