How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11768
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son two years ago received unemployment from Penn. later

Customer Question

My son two years ago received unemployment from Penn. later got a job in NJ but with out his knowledge his wife now X wife continued to claim benefits for several weeks. He then left NJ job because of injury he could not lift. reapplied for benefits in PA and was told he owed over 5000 dollars he was not entitled to. over the next few months my son was unable to work was depressed and hospitalized several times due to the marriage breakup. He finally got help in a rehab and is now working but only makes about 600 every two weeks. He must pay child support of 600 a month or half his salary for 2 children. He lives with us his parents and wants to start to repay this money and resolve this. The problem is this has ballooned from 5000 to 16,000. with fines and penalties. Is there anyone who can help to have them removed under the extenuating circumstances. Need some advice and guidance on this.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon Diana,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a personal phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Let me know if you don't want a call and I will be happy continue here with an answer for you.

Either way, whether I call you or not, in order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. How is it that the wife continued to claim benefits?

2. Did your son notify unemployment that he had returned to work?

3. What specifically makes up the additional $11,000 in penalties and interest. That sounds like an incorrect number if the original overpayment was just $5000.

4. How much in benefits had your son collected before he went back to work?

Thanks in advance,


Related Family Law Questions