How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11798
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband's son of which we have primary custody in the

Customer Question

Hello, my husband's son of which we have primary custody in the state of MD - has been with his mother for summer break (VA) and is refusing to return up here for the school year
JA: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: we live in MD mother is in VA
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: not as yet im in the midst of researching options between what legal aid the military could provide (husband is a retired vet) vs my Employee assistance program options
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: son 14 (but we think cognitively he is younger - was in the midst of getting him tested when his mom came and got him for break)
JA: I think they do a wonderful job. All Experts must pass our rigorous 8 Step Expert Quality Process. This ensures that you get the most knowledgeable, trustworthy help anywhere on the Internet. You can learn more about it here:
Customer: there is a previous child abuse and neglect investigation that prompted the change of custody from the mother to my husband and i
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. What state was the last custody order made in?

2. Is the son refusing to return, or is the mother refusing to return him?

3. Was he to fly home or be driven?


Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.


I won't be able to assist you if you are not able to provide the minimal information I sought clarification on. Please get back to me with this information at your earliest convenience.