How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102185
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Daughter has son who is 16years old. Boy is a trainwreck and

Customer Question

Daughter has son who is 16years old. Boy is a trainwreck and constantly getting in trouble that costs her money. He will not obey any rules either hers or the laws and she wants to find out about emancipation to free her from this nightmare. They live in Baker Mt.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this. Please tell me first of all, is the sixteen year old in agreement and wants to emancipate?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
off and on, but I should proceed as if his will not agree.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
also, he just turned 17 years old
Expert:  Ely replied 11 months ago.

Thank you. I am afraid that you cannot proceed if he does not agree. The parent has a duty to provide care, room, and board for the child. The parent cannot force emancipation.

Now, if the minor DOES want emancipation, then this can happen. You can find the forms HERE. This would be done via court. The minor would have to show the Judge that he can earn enough money to take care of himself, and live away from his parents. If the Judge agrees that the minor is mature enough and can take care of himself, the Court will grant early emancipation.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Related Family Law Questions