How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6392
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife left the home after my son was shot and paralyzed

Customer Question

My wife left the home after my son was shot and paralyzed left me with our daughter and her daughter fir the first month until she went to her granmothers house fir summer said she wasnt paying child support because my daughter said she want to stay with me or helping me with any bills shes been gone 3 months now and im barely making it and shes still not contributed nothing.. I have proof of infidelity.. It wasnt bad with both of our incomes but its a struggle by myself because i cant work like i use to.. And i finally told her tonight that im barely making it and she told me to do whatever i got to do
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

What state do you live in? Are you planning or willing to file for divorce?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but i was wanting to know if theres anything i could to as far as getting help paying the bills because my salary is nothing compared to hers by her being a rn and im in no shape able to pay for a move
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Every state has different laws on this. Where do you live?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. I'm going to opt out and let you talk to someone who is more familiar with North Carolina's laws in this area. Please do not reply, as that can cause delays. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

North Carolina follows a rule called the Doctrine of Necessaries, where a wife can be held responsible for the costs of her husband’s “necessaries.” They include items that are required for one’s health and well-being, such as medical care, food, clothing, transportation, and shelter. So, you can sue your wife and obtain an order of support for these items; which order can be backed by the threat of jail time or fines.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything i can do about her putting my son out the house? Because he was shot on a school night at midnight and if he was home his bedtime was 9:30 Hes been with us since the age of 3
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

You may be able to claim abuse and neglect to challenge her parental rights.

Related Family Law Questions