How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27549
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I went to court with my ex wife for a motion where she was

Customer Question

I went to court with my ex wife for a motion where she was collecting taxes from both of my children when we had agreed that she will only claim one and also for a motion for contempt , her lawyer asked the judge to get credit on the arrears that I have but she claimed that she sent me the documents for me to review the numbers and I never got them the judge wanted to get this cleared and she pushed me to agree on numbers that I never saw, can I change my mind?
I am representing my self that was on July 21st 2016, I feel that her lawyer is doing the numbers on her favor, what can I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. Who pushed you? The Judge? Have you yet to receive anything to confirm and look over these numbers? Did you see if the numbers were accurate?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was pushed by the lawyer and the Judge I just got a letter today from the lawyer and this is what I responded:
Brenda Lubian
8655 Sand Lake Shores Dr.
Orlando FL, 32836
Re: Lubian v. Perez
Case No.: 2011-DR-7760
Dear Mrs. Ophelia,
I received the document in regards ***** ***** ORDER ON FORMER HUSBAND’S MOTION TO HELP RECOVER MONEY FILED APRIL 15TH, 2016
I found the first error from both of us. Brenda Lubian also claimed both of the kids in 2015, therefore the amount needs to be recalculated.
It is not necessary to mention the amount of motions I’ve placed, since only one was made regarding this subject. I understand that you want the court to look at me as the person filing all the motions, but there is only one motion regarding this. Therefore, I would like that paragraph to be corrected please.
Since I do not have your client’s 2015 tax return, I would like to get a hard copy to calculate the number and get it fixed now in order to avoid wasting any more court time. We can proceed as soon as you send me the tax return and we recalculate the numbers. I will also take this information with a professional to run the numbers on my side as well.
That was ordered in chambers in Orlando, Orange County, Florida on January 11, 2016.
It is not necessary to bring another document with additions that were not stipulated there. For example, number 11 that states that for any elective medical, dental, ophthalmic treatment or procedure over $1500 must be agreed upon the parties.
Number 18: The Respondent former husband to request income tax return was denied?
We went to court for that on July 21st, 2016.
It is not necessary to bring that document again to the court, especially with alterations.
We need to redo this again, because you did not take out the taxes that Brenda Lubian claimed on 2015.
In the REPORT AND RECOMMENDATION OF GENERAL MAGISTRATE, filed August 6, 2013, in 11b, the magistrate clearly stated that “the Wife appeared to owe the Former Husband a small monthly amount of child support”. And you did not calculate that as well.
I would like to know how I can have access to the passports
The father was ordered to make an appointment while the kids were in his custody over the summer, but it was never stipulated that it should be within a 10 day period.
I will be unavailable from October 4 to October 25. Therefore, the status hearing shall be set for a date later than October 25th.
Best Regards,Francisco PerezHow do i get the program to calculate the numbers?
Would i be able to stop this lawyer from manipulating the numbers on her clients benefit?
Please advise
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your reply. It is important to remember that an attorney should always be acting in their clients best interest. However, the numbers and information which the attorney is submitting needs to be accurate and truthful. If it is not, then you can object and contest it and produce your own calculations, to show the Judge that the amount ordered is incorrect. In addition, the Judge should NOT be pressuring you to agree to anything. If you previously needed more time, you should have asked for it and if you now discover there was an error, you can ask the Judge to modify/correct it, to reflect what you should be properly paying. With that being said, if the number are not accurate, provide the Judge with evidence to show and support the miscalculation and ask that the order be modified/amended to reflect what is proper.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I the calculations? is there anything on line that I can look for?
Your answer is not telling me much, I was expecting submit this motion, go to the court house and do that a lead on what to do but I find your answer with no lead
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry but I do not understand your follow up. I am happy to help but need you to clarify what you are looking for. You shared above that you did NOT get a chance to review the numbers/calculation and you believe they are wrong. As such, you need to now come back and show why they are wrong. If you believe they are wrong, you need to tell the Judge why. Have you looked at the numbers and determined why they are wrong? Was payment not applied to them?

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

You shared that the calculation where wrong but now asked how you do them, so I am curious if this was just an assumption or you know they were wrong

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you read the paper that I sent you even if the numbers were accurate they discover not considered the taxes from 2015 plus the money that is owed by the petitioner, I want to know where and how do I get those calculations?
I don't want the run around, with all do respect if I go see a lawyer for a free consultation I will hear a similar answer to yours.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

I understand and will be happy to opt out and allow another expert to answer your question. Please allow a moment

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My time is limited let's just drop it here.

Related Family Law Questions