How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34516
Experience:  30 plus years of experience.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter and her husband are living with us for more then

Customer Question

My daughter and her husband are living with us for more then 10 years without paying any rent. Instead they decided to remodel parts of our house. They stripped the entering room to bare walls, started new kitchen, started to remove our pool ( didn't like look of it). Now they decided to move out and want to leave the house without finishing what they started. We are both living of retirement check, and my husband, her father had a stroke 3 years ago.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

A verbal agreement is enforceable, it is just more difficult to prove when there is nothing in writing.

If your daughter and son in law agreed to do work on the house as the compensation for being allowed to live there, and then reneged on the deal then you can sue them to complete the repairs or pay the money required to complete the repairs.

If the claim does not exceed $7000 you can sue in small claims court. Small claims court is designed to be "user friendly" so that you can present a claim without an attorney. Also, it moves much more quickly than regular court. You can get the necessary forms to start from the clerk of the court.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?