How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11842
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been living with my girlfriend in my house for 2

Customer Question

I have been living with my girlfriend in my house for 2 years. We have two kids but I am not an official father (I am an actual father) of those kids. We are not officially married.
I do want to support my kids but I do not want to have anything to do with my girlfriend anymore.
I asked her to apply for child custody so we can get separated and she moves out of my house. She is not doing it.
I do not mind renting her an apartment but she refuses to leave the house. At this point I would like to take legal actions.
I would like to initiate the eviction process and I went to see a divorce lawyer but since we are not married he said there is no divorce and child issues since no paternity established as of yet.
House is mine. She is not paying for mortgage or any other expenses in the house. She is house wife.
The question I have is:
1.i would like to see a lawyer to evict her from my house (I am willing to pay for their rent). Which lawyer deals with those issues considering my situation?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Bill Attorney replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question today. Your situation is at the moment primarily a property dispute.

If you provide some information as to ownership and tenancy rights, I will be in a better situation to assess your situation. This is a landlord- tenant law/ property law for your information.

So let me know: Who is the owner of the property ?

Has she paid any rent ?

Is there any written agreement ?

If she is a tenant in law: pays rent and has signed an agreement,it will be difficult to evict her.

You will need to follow local landlord-tenant rules, that include serving proper eviction notices on her.

You can do that yourself or consult a general practice lawyer in your County.

Otherwise, if she is just a guest, she wouldn't have any rights and you only need to change the locks when she is away.

If this answers your question, please rate five stars.

If you need more information, follow up with me with more information.