How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 116779
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I are in the process of trying to find out

Customer Question

My husband and I are in the process of trying to find out how to adopt a disabled adult that has lived with us since he was seven. He is 23, has a genetic bone disorder and has been on Disability SS since birth. Since Iowa changed from Medicaid to privatized health insurance, the only way Kolby can be seen by his multiple drs at Mayo Clinic is to remain on our health insurance which is primary. The only way we can keep Kolby on our insurance is to prove that he belongs to us by adopting him. We have provided more than half his support since he was 7, although he does get $733 SS disability each month. Can you assist me with the proper way to petition the court. I called them and they said to do my research and that I don't need to have a lawyer to do this process. That would mean only having to pay court cost and fees which total $160 rather than $1000 with an attorney. Can you help me to know how to petition the court?
Submitted: 12 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 12 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
In IA, here is a sample form (it is for a minor in juvenile court, but the petition is the same and it is not filed in juvenile court but in your district court instead):
Or you can use a service to prepare the forms for you, such as:
You would need to have an affidavit of his consent to adoption, stating he is an adult and mentally sound and understands the effects of adoption and he has to sign it and it must be notarized.
Once you have the forms completed, you file them with the court. The court will want to have him appear and will question him on the record to make sure he understands what is going on. The court can then grant the adoption.

Related Family Law Questions