How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11768
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Do Not Close: Not a Duplicate. I need to resolve this issue,

Customer Question

Do Not Close: Not a Duplicate. I need to resolve this issue, 51/50 case, I am only writing back , I do not have a lot of time, I was told by William B esq that I would need a mental health attorney, and I would be going to a LPS court, he knew because he had been though this before,I am just looking for the correct answers, I have been given different information, do not know if it is true,what if it were you or your family member.
Refer to:
Submitted: 12 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 12 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am sorry for the delay you experienced, but it seems that experts avoided taking your question because you never left positive feedback for the expert who assisted you last time you used the site. Most customers do not understand that the experts on this site are not employees of the site and as such get no credit for time spent with customers when they fail to leave positive feedback for their expert and that failure can also lead to not getting assistance on future questions.
I WILL gladly work with you though.
What different information were you given regarding your case other than what the previous expert told you and what is your specific question for us about this matter?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I do appreciate you writing me back, and the help of others as well, I am greatful. aftet the credit card was charged and I did receive a responds and I continued writting back I felt ignored and abruised, I wad tolld to write to this site because I am indigent and I cannot afford an attorney, I have checked with other attorney, so they suggested this site, attoeneyand some answersanswemy money was taken
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your reply, unfortunately, your card being charged is not crediting your expert, that is just a deposit to the site. If you fail to leave positive feedback, the expert gets no credit and as you can see it can make experts refuse to work with you and provide you answers.
So what is your question about the 51-50 and you understand that just because your card was charged you have not credited the expert when you fail to leave positive feedback?