How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102145
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need some legal help, my son is 20 yrs old who is TBI,

Customer Question

I need some legal help, my son is 20 yrs old who is TBI, Bi-polar, and ADHD. He is currently in a mental hospital due to an incident that happened 7/25/16 at my home. He threatened my 2 teenage daughters and then kicked in my front door while I was at work. He already receives SSI for his disability and I am his representative payee and manage his bills and everything else. Several people have said I really need to get guardianship over him because he is not capable of making decisions especially medical ones. I also have done some research and I can't afford to do this. What is my alternative and is there legal help for this type of service? I have looked on line for TBI legal aid and I have left a message for the Legal aid here in Austin Texas.
Submitted: 12 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 12 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.
I am sorry to hear about this situation. On this website, I do not always get to give good news, and this is one of these times.
1) There is no alternative. If you want control over him, then you have to get adult guardianship.
2) There is no legal help for this. However, I can recommend three resources. First, here is a list of all pro bono work in the state...
…and another list:
Finally, you may call your local law school and see if they have a legal clinic place available. The legal clinic is a free service the school(s) provide to the community. While they are often overbooked, they have openings sometimes. Here is the list law schools in your state:
Unfortunately otherwise, if he is an adult, then once he is released he would again be under his own recognizance until/unless you get an adult guardianship for him.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.
Expert:  Ely replied 11 months ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!

Related Family Law Questions