How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TJ, Esq. Your Own Question
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12358
Experience:  JD, MBA
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
TJ, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in WA state. I have had depression before during &

Customer Question

I live in WA state. I have had depression before during & after my devorce. I signed a quick deed to all assets bought with my inheritance. I did not show at court, even though I wrote a letter. My ex gladly took everything. Do I have any recourse?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: WA state. Property is all in MT. I put a 5 year no sell on the house on 20acres.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I had a devorce lawyer but he was more interested in dating me.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: There were 3 properties 1 20acres with a $60K foundation. 1 20acResist with an unfinished house 1 5acre parcel. There was also a 5acre piece with a modular home gifted to our daughters, they had to pay off their Dad's personal credit card lien on their property. I believe he was also hording money away for the devorce. I kept paying the mortgage for almost a year after. All properties were purchased with my inheritance money
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to help if I can. Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct any necessary research, and type a response. Thank you.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. Thanks for your patience.

I won't sugar coat this because I'm sure you want an honest answer: It will be difficult to get the assets back. You'll likely need to prove to a judge that you were not competent when you signed over the assets, and that because you did not understand or appreciate what you were doing, your actions should have no legal effect. Depending on the facts, that may be a very tall order. On the other hand, if you can show that you were medicated, and that you were not in a right frame of mind, then it's possible to win the argument. You could frame the situation as though your ex was knowingly taking advantage of the fact that you were severely depressed and were being treated with medications that altered your ability to understand what you were doing.

Certainly, the fact that you gave him all of your assets which he would not have otherwise been entitled to indicates that something was not quite right. But again, this will be a difficult argument. My suggestion is that you obtain a new attorney to put this argument together and file something in court.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.