How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask originallawyer Your Own Question
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 879
Experience:  9+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
originallawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My spouse has filed in Florida, I live in Texas, and I just

Customer Question

My spouse has filed for divorce in Florida, I live in Texas, and I just received service of court documents by email
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I have not opened the email
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: NO, I filed for divorce here in Texas at the end of June and he refused a certified notice. I now have a private process server in his home town working to find him
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: He wants spousal support from me
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 1 year ago.

If your divorce petition was filed first, then your case is the one that will go on. You should speak with a lawyer in Florida, in the county where he filed, and have them file a Motion to Abate the case in Florida because a pre-existing case is in Texas. It doesn't matter if you haven't served him yet. It should not be cost prohibitive.