How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 30168
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother claims the man who adopted me was not my

Customer Question

My mother claims the man who adopted me was not my biological father, and that another man is. If you saw pictures of this man who adopted me, and my siblings, and knew how many lies I have been told in my 48 years, you would know why I am sceptical.
JA: I am Pearl, the Family Lawyer's Assistant.
Customer: I have a birth certificate with adoptive dad's name on it. It is very odd looking, and there are other things that don't add up.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Well, I grew up in Louisiana, but he was a Captain in the Army at the time, and we lived in El Paso, TX
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No. I approached the alleged bio father. He seemed completely stumped. My parents were visiting me iin Mcihgain last week, and some things they talked about just do not add up.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Prior to the adoption (when I was about 9- I'm 48 ow) I was questioned by a social worker. I have never seen my adoption records, just muy weird birth certificate. Tryinig to find out what year my parents moved from Grosse Isle MI to. Baton Rouge
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

In Texas, all adoption records are sealed by law. You have the ability to request a redacted copy from the Central Adoption Registry, but I want you to know that it might not have the information you're requesting. This site has the application to request your records, along with instructions and where to mail them.

If your adoptive father is listed on your birth certificate, that probably means they reissued a new one after you were adopted, which could be why it looks strange. You may be able to get a copy of the original if you were born in Louisiana. Here is more information on that:

Another option is to purchase a DNA test at a drug store or online. They're pretty accurate these days. You could ask your adoptive father to submit for a DNA test because you think he might be your biological father. Hopefully, he'll agree, and that would give you an answer. Even if he doesn't live near you, he could mail in a DNA sample. Because it's too late to establish paternity, there isn't a legal way of requiring him to submit to the test, but hopefully he'll agree in order to give you some peace of mind.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Did you have any other questions about this?