How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Asad Rahman Your Own Question
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2174
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Asad Rahman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Just reading, IL. I am wondering if I move abroad if I can

Customer Question

just reading for now
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: IL. I am wondering if I move abroad if I can avoid paying alimony and half my pension for life to my ex wife?
JA: Has anything been filed in court yet?
Customer: no
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: i am paying.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: i don't know
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

No, unfortunately moving out of the country would not absolve you of your obligations here. It would make it harder for your spouse to pursue claims but many countries will enforce a US based order.

Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

I saw that you submitted the same question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, yes, I know that. But some countries will not, correct? Plus, there will be no U.S. based order if there is no service, right? And if last known address is in a foreign country that is not a Hague signatory or does not have a treaty that permits service by publication, or the person has moved from there to another country not a signatory, couldn't service be avoided and therefore any judgment?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I updated phone number and payment info, though payment info was correct.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

Your payment is not going through acccording to the system though.