How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 19318
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was served divorce papers and I need to know exactly what

Customer Question

I was served divorce papers and I need to know exactly what to do next if I dont agree with all of the terms.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

First and foremost, you need to file an answer to the Complaint to have your side of the case on the record.

You can file temporary Motions for support, custody, if necessary and request for a hearing with the Court. You can get information from the Clerk's office how to mark your Motion for a hearing.

Then you can reach out to the other party/her Attorney if she has one to negotiate, to see if you can agree on the issues such as property division, spousal support, child support, custody and visitation. Then both parties can prepare and sign marital settlement agreement and file with the Court for approval. If the parties do not agree on the issues, then the parties would bring their issues in front of the Judge.

Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Related Family Law Questions