Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My ex left my daighter an nice at home an call the police an

Customer Question
said a 3yr old an...
My ex left my daighter an nice at home an call the police an said a 3yr old an 10yr old was left at home by them self. Cps came took my daught an nice they gave my sister her baby back an my daughter was pkace with my aunt they gave me a safty plan i was successful an parenting class an substance abuse class the safty plan was for 90 days its been six months they came an remove my daughter an place her an foster care yesterday an they say i have to be an court 8/1/16 please help me
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
7/27/2016
Family Lawyer: originallawyer, Family Law Attorney replied 1 year ago
originallawyer
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney

1. You should appear in court on August 1st. Be on time (or early), be dressed appropriately and be respectful to the Judge and other attorneys.

2. See if you can find an attorney to go to court with you. Use Avvo.com to find an attorney in your area. It's too late to have a consultation with Legal Aid before your hearing, but you could try to get an attorney through them for any upcoming hearings after the hearing on Monday.

3. Bring pictures of your home and documentation of all your parenting and substance abuse classes. The Judge may ask to see them. If the Judge doesn't ask, you may ask the Judge if he or she would like to see them. Do not approach the Judge unless they tell you to do so. For instance, the Judge may say, "Is there anything you'd like to say" and you can say, "Your honor, I've prepared for my child to live with me. I have pictures of my home if you'd like to see them. I also have proof that i completed all requested classes, if you'd like to see that as well." They may or may not want to see your evidence.

4. If you have any people who are supporting you in your attempt to get your child to come live with you, they may attend with you and possibly speak on your behalf, but again, only if the Judge allows.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I dont understand why the took my daughter an place her in foster care i am a great mother to my daughter i never thought in a millon years that i would be a victim with getting my daughter taken by cps because someone left my baby an call the police an said she was left home by her self i will never trust anyone to babysit againits like 6 months of my life been taking away i dont understand why they place her in foster care

I am very sorry this has happened to you!

CPS does whatever they feel is necessary to protect the child, and sometimes they do overreach. They are a government organization that is extremely overworked and thus sometimes they make decisions that seem strange to us, but make sense in their internal workings.

The good news is that the Judge can overrule CPS, which is why it's vital for you to be in court on Monday. If there is truly no reason for you not to have custody of your child, then a Judge should find that the process should begin to return your child to you. This has been a bad situation for you, but it can get better, so don't lose hope!

originallawyer
originallawyer
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney