How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask originallawyer Your Own Question
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 879
Experience:  9+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
originallawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The mother of my child tested positive when she gave birth

Customer Question

The mother of my child tested positive for Marijuana when she gave birth dcs took the child from hospital pending meconium test meanwhile while waiting on results I failed a drug screen I was never allowed to be around my son they took my son to maternal grandparents. Meconium test came back negative. They are pushing to terminate my parental rights can you help me
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 1 year ago.

We cannot represent you. But if you have specific questions about the law about your case, we can try to help you in that way.

Honestly, your best option will be to hire an attorney or get one through Legal Aid for no or low cost. Failing a drug test once is not necessarily a reason to terminate completely. They must have a good reason, like consistent criminal activity, child abuse or abandonment, etc. Without an attorney, however, the system is stacked against you. Stay clean, do whatever they want you to do in terms of treatment or parenting classes, and don't give them any other reasons to terminate your parental rights.

Do not agree to terminate your rights unless you are completely sure that's what you want to do. It is a forever choice, there is no undoing it later on, even if you claim they coerced you into it. If they want to terminate your rights, make them take you to court to do so so that you are in front of a Judge who can hear all sides of the issue at hand and make a decision.