How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41035
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife and I are mediating our divorce and I have decided

Customer Question

My wife and I are mediating our divorce and I have decided to split my CA State PERS retirement account 50/50 with my wife. The mediator says I will need a joinder and QRDO prepared by an attorney. What is involved here and how expensive can it get to do this?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

QDROs can be done flat fee, here is an example, lawyer wants around $350 to do one, thats ball park here for that alone.It is specialized area, usually retired judges do these because they have seen many of them and are good at it.

More on joinder here you will need it.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Another one this runs about$500 you may want to shop it here.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Here a QDRO (Qualified Domestic Relations Order) is a special type of court order that allows the division of retirement plan benefits between parties in a dissolution or legal separation. A QDRO (pronounced “quad row”) is a specific type of order that recognizes the right of an “alternate payee” (i.e., legally separated spouse, former spouse, domestic partner, child and/or other dependent) to receive all or part of a pension plan, which belongs to their spouse or former spouse. It is usually required when dividing one of the party’s retirement plan benefits such as a pension or 401(k) plan in a divorce proceeding and are required when dividing any type of retirement in a California divorce proceeding such as yours here.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

A Joinder is a document that we prepare and file with the court. It notifies the court that there is a pension that is subject to division. Once it is filed with the court, it is then served on the pension or plan. This notifies the pension or plan that there is a divorce pending. As it is served on the pension or plan, it brings them into the divorce case as a 3rd party. (Therefore being “Joined” hence “Joinder”, This will occur on each pension or plan that is going to be divided. Every pension and plan requires a Joinder before a Qualified Domestic Relations Order can be completed.

So here the lawyer does all of this, you may want to shop it a bit to get the best deal.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.I wish you the best here.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Here we would be your lawyer that prepares all of this.

Related Family Law Questions