Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Is maintenance support taxable if the checks maintenance is

Customer Question
Is maintenance support taxable if...
Is maintenance support taxable if the checks for the maintenance is derived from a company owned business. The marriage was of 41 years. Both parties are in their 50's. She has never worked outside the home.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
7/25/2016
Family Lawyer: Nishan Parlakian,
 replied 1 year ago
Nishan Parlakian

Hi Michael, I'm sorry for the 41 year marriage dissolving. The IRS considers any income to an individual taxable including maintenance-as you know. The only way it would not be taxable is if the business agreed that they would pay the tax on the support checks. Hope things work out for the best, ***** ***** rate me or please let me know if you require more information.

Nishan Parlakian
Nishan Parlakian
Nishan Parlakian