How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrakeLAW Your Own Question
DrakeLAW, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 757
Experience:  Attorney at Drake Law Firm PLC
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
DrakeLAW is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to file because of my husband being unfaithful to me,

Customer Question

I want to file for divorce because of my husband being unfaithful to me, thereby destroying our marriage. Financially, it is important that our house be sold so our debts can be paid off. We can agree on the division of community property. My question: Can we by Texas law, remain in our house until the divorce is final? Also, can the divorce be contingent on the sale of the house?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  DrakeLAW replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, my name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This question and response may be viewed by other parties as noted in JA’s terms of service. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Thank you for your question. You can still ask clarifying questions if needed until you are satisfied, there is no charge for follow-up questions. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I welcome you to request my assistance in any future legal questions you may have, by simply placing my name in the first sentence of your new question. It is important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Finally, please be so kind as to promptly rate this answer favorably so that I may be compensated and the question may be closed in the system. I wish you the best in your endeavors! –Rich

Yes, you can remain in the house until the divorce is final or even after the divorce is final. There is nothing in divorce law that stops you living in the house even if you aren't yet married. But a divorce cannot be contingent on the sale of the house.

If the house does not sell before the a divorce decree is entered then you decree will have language saying what happens when the house is sold in the future.

Does that make sense?

Related Family Law Questions