How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 39048
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

1. My client has been with a man who put a house in trust. s

Customer Question

1. My client has been with a man who put a house in trust for her. His attorney used the boyfriends money to set up a trust for the house. The trust owns the house. Her name was to be on it and the boyfriend and the attorney have procrastinating doing that for her The lawyer owns the trust. She was told her name will be put on the house after the divorce which should take place this week. She has emails that confirm they will do this. How can she protect herself to confirm this will be done? If the house does not get signed over to her what can she do?
JA: Has anything been filed in court yet?
Customer: The divorce is almost over Custody done and mediation this Wednesday for financial settlement
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No reaching out to you. I looked on line for this
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: not now
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.


The answer is that the settlement agreement must provide for the express transfer of title in the property to your client, and the timing of that transfer. The agreement should also provide some sort of enforcement mechanism, e.g., if title is not transferred within by date X, then the court upon motion of the transferee spouse is may order its clerk to sign the deed conveying the property to the transferee spouse on behalf of the trustee of the trust.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Thanks anyway
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do i cancel service. I understood this to be a trial