How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask originallawyer Your Own Question
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 879
Experience:  9+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
originallawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex and I have joint custody of our son with her being the

Customer Question

my ex and I have joint custody of our son with her being the custodial parent. She has informed me that she can't handle my son. And wants me to get him. Which I will do. I want to change it to where I'm the custodial parent.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 1 year ago.


In order for this change to be legally binding, you and your ex will need to file a Motion to Modify your current custody agreement. Then, once that is filed, you'll need to have the Judge sign the new agreed Final Order. This is the only way to legally formalize the new arrangement and end any child support obligation you may have. You can find the forms to do so at

Note that a letter from her stating that you have custody is not enough. You must go through the courts.

Related Family Law Questions