How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Asad Rahman Your Own Question
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2166
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Asad Rahman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a child whos father name is on the birth certifcate

Customer Question

hi i have a child whos father name is ***** ***** birth certifcate but there is NO establish paternity test can I change the child last name without the consent of the father since we didnt establish actual paternity test?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately you need the other parents consent or at the very least they must receive notice and an opportunity to object. Here is a good overview of the process in Illinois.

Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

If you have any additional questions just let me know otherwise a positive rating would be greatly appreciated.

Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

Happy to address any further questions.