How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Olivia Kent Your Own Question
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 871
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Olivia Kent is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 94 year old dad has trouble walking but is fully

Customer Question

My 94 year old dad has trouble walking but is fully functional and still works a few days a week. His mind is sharp as a tac. My mom passed away about 18 years ago and he lives independently and has a girlfriend. He was driving up until about a year and 1/2 ago when he had a car accident due to his leg problem. His girlfriend now picks him up when they go out. He pays for everything for her, meals, groceries, car, gas, etc. they do not live together. I get to see him on Sunday's when I pick him up and cook for him. But she constantly bothers him when he is here with me or when he is with my other sister or brother. Lately , when things don't go her way, she screams and curses at him on the phone enough that we can hear her and it is quite embarrassing. Last week, she abandoned him at a restaurant because she got pissed off at him and he had to call my sister to pick him up. Is this elder abuse? I am afraid for my dad. It is really getting more frequent and I am afraid it may get violent.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I’ll be happy to help you in any way I can. This site is for educational purposes only. Sometimes - although certainly not always - experts have to give you what you deem “bad news” but that should not be a reflection of how satisfied you are with the assistance your expert provided. My goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied before you submit your rating so please let me know if you have additional questions or you need me to clarify anything If there is a delay in the time it takes me to respond it is because I am working with a customer or I am not online - but rest assured I will respond to your follow up question, if you have one. Also, occasionally I will respond from a mobile JA unit, which automatically asks you to submit a rating once I submit a response - but please don't feel like you need to do so until we are done speaking. If your family is concerned and has witnessed the behavior (hearing it is sufficient) you can help your dad file for a retraining order. Certainly leaving someone stranded at a restaurant, particularly a 94 year old mean, is despicable behavior and the best thing to do is to try to get her out of his life - if he is willing. You can also try to report her conduct as elder abuse if you would like to see her criminally prosecuted, though ultimately it would be up to the state as to whether to pursue that. I hope that helps. If you need me to clarify please don't hesitate to ask.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for confirming my suspicions of abuse. I will keep a close watch on this.
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 1 year ago.

My pleasure. And, for future reference, if you ever need anything, you can always reach me directly by putting "FOR OLIVIA" in the first line of your request and as long as I am online it will be routed to me :) If you could please take a moment to submit positive feedback if you're satisfied with your assistance I would appreciate it; otherwise I don't receive credit for assisting you.

Related Family Law Questions