How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102506
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I wanted to get annoulment divorce spouse living eygpt, not

Customer Question

i wanted to get annoulment divorce spouse living eygpt, not u.s.a citizen ship not speak english idont know his address i need to divorce soon
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry about your situation. First, can you please tell me:

1) Where did you marry, and when?

2) Why do you wish to get an annulment, and not a divorce, specifically?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i get marred in Egypt 06/04/2016 i wanna get divorce ASAP
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.
Annulment may not be an option. Annulment is only possible if one or more of the following is true:
Incestuous: when the people who are married or in a registered domestic partnership are close blood relatives; or
Bigamous: where a spouse or domestic partner is already married to or in a registered domestic partnership with someone else.
Age at the time of marriage or domestic partnership: the party filing for the annulment was under 18 years old at the time of the marriage or domestic partnership.
Prior existing marriage or domestic partnership: Either party was already legally married or in a registered domestic partnership. This is different from bigamy (which is automatically illegal) because, in this case, the marriage or domestic partnership took place after the former spouse or domestic partner was absent for 5 years and not known to be living or generally thought to be dead.
Unsound mind: either party was of “unsound mind” or unable to understand the nature of the marriage or domestic partnership, including the obligations that come with it.
Fraud: Either party got married or registered the domestic partnership as a result of fraud. The fraud must have been about something vital to the relationship that directly affected why the party who was deceived agreed to the marriage or domestic partnership. Some examples are marrying only to get a green card or hiding the inability to have children.
Force: either party consented to getting married or filing a domestic partnership as a result of force.
Physical incapacity: the parties got married or registered a domestic partnership while 1 of them was "physically incapacitated" (basically, it means that one of the spouses or partners was physically incapable of consummating the relationship) and the incapacity continues and appears to be "incurable."
As such, unless any of the above applies, someone in your situation would have to get an actual DIVORCE. See HERE:
The issue is that you do not know how to get him served since you do not have his address. Also, he lives in Egypt. Therefore, this requires very nuances actions under possibly both Hague convention agreements as well as alternative process request from the Court. You would have to use counsel to effect this divorce if you want it done quicker, or risk being bogged down in legal matters and have the divorce stretch out for a long time if you do this yourself.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.