How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11823
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

When my ex-husband and I divorced there was no child support

Customer Question

Hello when my ex-husband and I divorced there was no child support in place. I've lost over half my income and has hoping he would start helping me with our 6 year son. He has never given me a dime. He refuses to help me in any fashion so I am now left to seek council. How do I go about this?
Thank you,
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I’m a licensed attorney with 36 years’ experience in family law and appeals. I look forward to helping you today.

Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an attorney on this site. This is for educational purposes only and you are advised to seek your own legal counsel.

At the end of this session, I will ask you to please rate me as that’s the only way I get credit for helping you today. Thanks! Please note: I want to help you but I may need some additional information from you. Are you okay with rating me? I would really appreciate it!

Also – I will be typing my answer for you so I’ll be back asap.

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.

What state are you in? It's not showing up here. Thanks!

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I don't know what state you are in, which does make a difference, because some states you can establish child support without going to court.

The best thing to do is to get a family lawyer to help you get a court order for child support --or help you set it up if you don't have to go to court. If you would like me to, I will be happy to find a lawyer for you -- no additional charges apply. I do this when I answer questions here, and it's another way I'm trying to help my customers. I would just need to know the nearest city/town to you (the bigger the better) so I can look for lawyers for you. We are not allowed to recommend any particular lawyer but I can point you in the right direction, give you a list of lawyers and you can choose from that list. I can explain what to look for when you review a list of lawyers who practice this type of law. You'll find it easy to select lawyers from the short guide I give you. Just let me know if you'd like me to do this, or you can send this to me as a follow-up question at any time for no additional charge.

Child support should not take too long to set up. An experienced family lawyer can set that up for you fairly quickly, depending on your state. Just let me know if you need the names of lawyers in your area by letting me know the city or town closest to you -- the bigger the better.

Does this answer your question?