How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAttorney Your Own Question
FamilyAttorney, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1508
Experience:  Owner, attorney in private practice, appellate attorney, GAL & former trial lawyer, licensed for 37 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAttorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We pay child support threw the state of Illinois who charges

Customer Question

we pay child support threw the state of Illinois who charges interest on back balance I called today and they told me all the back balance owed is all interest fees
How can we get this stopped I dont see why the government should make us pay interest on child support
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I’m a licensed attorney with 36 years’ experience in family law and appeals. I look forward to helping you today.

Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an attorney on this site. This is for educational purposes only and you are advised to seek your own legal counsel.

At the end of this session, I will ask you to please rate me as that’s the only way I get credit for helping you today. Thanks! Please note: I want to help you but I may need some additional information from you. Are you okay with rating me? I would really appreciate it!

Also – I will be typing my answer for you so I’ll be back asap.

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.

In every state in the country, child support arrears have interest attached to it. I know because I used to work in child support collections in a different state, for two horrible years, so I know what they do.

I will tell you that in Ill. it is possible to settle the amount you owe and come to a settlement number with child support collection. If you want to have an attorney help you settle this amount for you, I can find attorneys for you in your area.

The other thing you can do is follow this link:

There is something called Project Clean Slate that may give you a chance to wipe out some of your debt. I don't know how much you owe so I'm not going to say that it will wipe out all of it but you should look into Project Clean Slate and see if you can get a lot of the child support, or at least some of it, knocked out. This will be aimed at getting rid of some of the interest.

Try this Project Clean Slate, see if you qualify and see if you can get some help in reducing your interest. This is not available in many states, but it is available in yours, so I hope you qualify for it. I know how awful it is to see those numbers keep going up and it's for the interest. I hope that this works out for you.

Does this answer your question?

You have the opportunity to do something about this, so hopefully one of these will work for you.

I am more than happy to answer additional questions based on this one if you want.

I hope this helps and clarifies. If you could, I'd appreciate it if you can rate me when finished. If you need additional information please let me know. Best of luck to you!

Please accept my answer, rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you and with your question. I work hard to give you a thorough and honest answer. I thank you in advance for rating me. Please let me know if there is more that I can do to answer your question and if you need more information. If not, I thank you for your rating. I can’t get credit for answering your question without your fair and honest rating. Thank you, ***** ***** you for allowing me to help you today.

Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges are incurred).

We are not employees of this site, so it's important for us to be rated to get credit for the time we spend here and so we can be paid.

I would rather answer additional questions than have you rate me negatively, so I appreciate the chance to do that for you. Thank you and best of luck to you! Please feel free to ask me anything else. I want to help you with this. Be well!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That helped out a lot
Thank you so
Much we owe 7000
So let's hope it works for us
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well the website didn't work
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.

It did not? I had problems from my end but my computer is acting up tonight.

Hang on, let me see if I can find it another way.

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.

You should be able to access it through these, then do a search if you need to on the site. If not, you can Google it and find several matches to Project Clean Slate. Make sure it says Illinois.

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.

Does that work for you? You'll be able to find it. If you make a few phone calls you'll get it. I read a blog quickly from a mom who lost arrears money because of Project Clean Slate so it appears that it works. Give it a shot. Illinois has done this to help people like you.

Best of luck and thanks in advance for rating me. I appreciate it because I worked hard to give you a thorough and correct answer, and I can't be paid without your fair rating. Thank you! You can come back here and ask me any follow-up question based on this one at any time, free of charge. A new question needs a new post. Be well!

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.

Hi, just checking in to see if you still need help with your question and if my answer was helpful for you. Thanks and thank you for allowing me to help you.