How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37639
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have 3 children that I pay child support for, and my

Customer Question

I have 3 children that I pay child support for, and my oldest turned 18 and graduated now. I found out a few months ago or so, that the amount did not change for the two I pay for now. I understand since Sept. 2012 both my income and my ex's have increased, but something is not right. Child Support services just reviewed our info and got back quickly about the denial of a lower child support amount. ( even with my oldest turning 18??? ) Just wondering what is the best thing to do and the most cost efficient.
Submitted: 12 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 12 months ago.

Good evening,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

The difference between child support for 2 children versus 3 is not all that much. Coupled with the fact that both you and your ex have had income increases it is quite possible that your increased income would result in not receiving a modification of child support just because the eldest child turned 18.

As you received nu joy from child support services, you are left with petitioning the court for a modification of custody based on the eldest child no longer being eligible. However, the court will require that you submit new financial statements and the motion could backfire and you could possibly even see your support level increased.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,