How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27567
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need your help, My son is 12 an has been accused of

Customer Question

I need your help, My son is 12 an has been accused of improper touching of his cousin who is maybe 8 yrs old. The state was questioning her about another situation and when she was asked if anybody else had touched her inappropriately she mentioned my son. The state now is asking if I will consent to them talking to him. What rights do I have here and how do I handle this. I don't want my son being treated like a criminal. he is 12 and we have handled the problem and he now has an understanding. Should I allow this to happen and if I don't what would I have to expect.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. You do not have to consent and allow them to speak with him. You can refuse and do not have to admit or say anything. They do not need to know any discussion has even been had with him since it may indicate to them you could be aware of any wrongdoing. If they were investigating a different issue involving the 8 year old and this came up, let them do what is needed. If this does escalate, then you would want and need to retain legal counsel. A criminal defense attorney could step in and represent his legal interest and make sure he is not taken advantage of and his interest is protected.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if there is anything else I can answer or clarify. I am here to help so please just let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
your saying it would be in my best interest to ignore the request? you mentioned criminal attorney.. is this punishable by any matter. My son has admitted to us and only his grandparents of his actions. Should I expect something like this to escalate or just go away? Might I ad this happened in one county different from the county we live in. I do believe that the initial contact from child services was mentioned to be a county service.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

It is at your discretion to ignore it or respond and simply advise you do not want them speaking with your son. It is possible that the court system may get involved, depending on what happened. That is why I shared that a criminal defense attorney may be needed, if this escalates and they press the issue or child services gets involved.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Did this help clarify everything?

Related Family Law Questions