How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Delta-Lawyer Your Own Question
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 3546
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Delta-Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Husband says he wants a divorce. He moved out four weeks

Customer Question

Husband says he wants a divorce. He moved out four weeks ago. Not offering any financial support. We just signed a lease on April 29. He knows I cannot afford the rental on my own. $1295.00 a month, plus he expects me to pay all the utilities, buy all the groceries, pay my car payment and cover all the medical bills. It is all really scary and unfair. Sometimes, he says we can work on the marriage and we go out on dates and then sometimes he ignores me and our son for days. I am in limbo. He says the courts won't make him pay any rent, that it is completely my problem. How can that be? This is all very unfair because he is just one person and moved to his mom's. I have to care for two children and a dog. Do I have any options? I was told I may have to pay him (I am a teacher and don't make that much to begin with, but more than my husband). Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a dozen years of experience handling matters of this nature. It is a pleasure to assist you and your children today.

You do have options, legally speaking, but you will have to file for divorce in order for those options to kick in, so to speak. If you file for divorce, you can have the court issue a separation order which will detail financial responsibility, child custody arrangements, etc.

In short, he will be forced to help you financially, not only in paying for your lease, but also the bills as well as child support if you are the primary custodial parent...which you most assuredly will be for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that he abandoned you guys.

Once the divorce is complete, you will likely remain the custodial parent and this means he will owe you child support and you will not owe him any alimony. In short, he will have to get a job or he will face other large issues, including potential jail time.

So, unfortunately, in order for this to move your way, legally speaking, you will have to file for divorce and get the separation order put in place. Maybe he will come to his senses once that happens and the divorce will not have to go through. By filing, you get certain rights.

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please rate my answer positively (THREE OR MORE STARS) on the ratings bar on your end.

Thank you and best wishes!

Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Did you have any other questions or concerns? Thanks

Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Just checking to see if you have any additional questions or concerns. I want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible moving forward. Thanks

Related Family Law Questions