How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 30168
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 20 weeks pregnant and I have finally decided that I can

Customer Question

I am 20 weeks pregnant and I have finally decided that I can no longer be mentally abused by my boy friend. He has lied, cheated, and manipulated me. When things do not go his way he has called me names such as whore, unfit, slut. He continues to blame me for everything that has gone wrong in his life currently. If i do not answer his call he accuses me of sleeping with other men. He degrades me and tells me my family is trash and so am i if I am with them.
In actuality my family is supportive and has provided me with the courage to finally admit the abuse and move forward. He has threatened to come after the child, he has threatened to make me miserable and most recently I lost my job partially because of the calls I received at work from him. Can I get a restraining order to keep him away? I am afraid if he knows I am not coming back this time the abuse will get worse because of the baby. I am not sure what he is capable of.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

In Florida, a judge can enter a restraining order if he finds that you're in immediate danger of becoming a victim of domestic violence. That includes threats to you and threats of kidnapping your child. As soon as you go to court and file the request, you can go in front of the judge and ask for an immediate order. That means your ex can be served with a temporary order AND the notice of the suit at the same time, which gives you added protection.

You're allowed to file at the local circuit courthouse in your county or where he lives. Call before you go in, but they should have forms to help you. If you're planning to move and don't want him to know where you're living, then filing in his county is one way to avoid him knowing which county you're living in. This site has more information for you:

After the child is born, you can file immediately for full custody, plus child support, and that will stop him from taking the child away. Filing for custody will not give him a right to contact you when there's an order in place.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.