How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 116704
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This is about SSI laws: - Can a US citizen SSI receipt have

Customer Question

This is about SSI laws:
- Can a US citizen SSI receipt have a non-US residence without losing eligibility ?
( deposits are into US bank)
2. How often the periodic medical reviews are required? every 1 or 2 years.....?
3. If required, can medical reviews be done in receipt's country of residence?
4. Arrears (past due in 2007 and received now $400 a month) received, is it an income? that has to be reported to SSA for purpose of SSI financial disclosure)?
5. Husband start earning employment income January in 2016. What income table and formula is used that can show effect of household income on SSI payments?
I need to know what I should be getting if my husband is making ABC money a month.
I live in NJ, with husband and 3 kids.
The judge just passed the favorable ruling retro active to 2013 . But having a meeting with SSA to determine payments eligibility.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
A person can receive SSDI or SSI benefits or SS Retirement benefits even while living outside of the US. However, it depends on the country as to whether or not SSA can send payments to that country.
If you would be keeping the payments in a US bank, then there would be no issues with receiving payments.
Medical reviews can be ordered every 2-4 years, it depends on when SSA gets around to the case reviews because of all of the cases they have. The SSA will want a US licensed doctor who is treating you to submit the proof of continued disability, since US medical standards are different many times than those in foreign countries.
Yes, any arrears are reported as income to SSA, all income from all sources is reported for purposes of eligibility for SSI as it is income based and the arrears are unearned income.
Only SSA can calculate your benefit and qualifications based on your income and household income and here are the maximum amounts you can be paid under SSI:
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply.
What is the max allowable limit of income for the household (5 members family) , after which no SSI payments can be given by SSA?
As my husband only has a job since Jan this year, and I am the disabled person in the family.
Thank you
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Here is a general SSI income calculator to see if you will have any issues:
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tomorrow Tuesday, 9:30 PM is ok to call, if convenient to you.
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tel#(###) ###-#### ***** tomorrow I will switch to Call option.
Good night for now.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.
I do not do calls after 4PM, if you want a call, then you need to arrange it between 8AM and 4PM and I will send you the offer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry, but my husband works late e. Anyway, just if you can and I do not speak English to receive your call during day.
Anyway, at least if you can mention the source for showing that taking residence outside US is not a violation of receiving SSD/SSI payment (deposited to US bank account)? this will ease my concern.Thank you
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your reply.

That is too easy, that is from the SSA site itself:

In order to send the payment outside of the US, the countries have to have an agreement with the US, but if you maintain a US account, you are allowed to do so.

Related Family Law Questions