How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31765
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Potential divorce, Georgia, No, My wife wants it but I'm not

Customer Question

Potential divorce
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Georgia
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: My wife wants it but I'm not a willing participant. We have a house both names on the deed and a 14 year old son. I haven't done anything, adultery, physical or mental abuse, drink, drugs or anything of the sort. She just says she wants her freedom.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Georgia law allows for no-fault divorces, which means that either spouse can file for divorce without having to show that the other did something wrong. Thus, it is likely that your wife can seek a divorce even if you aren't in agreement.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

If she was to go through with the divorce, you'll have to deal with property division and child custody/visitation issues.