How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27196
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am starting to be concerned whenever my 8 year old

Customer Question

I am starting to be concerned whenever my 8 year old daughter goes over to her fathers. Currently, he lives in a single room that he rents (?) after sending us a random text message last October that he now resided there after selling (or getting kicked out of) his trailer suddenly. Said he had the money from the "sale" but was being "kept safe" at his grandparents house for when he found an apartment.(He is a horrible and notorious alcohalic)Where he was staying was "only temporarily".She had her own room and bed at the trailer. He fought to have her overnight at his new "room/place" as we were very concerned about the sudden situation and new living arrangements.He assured us she would have his room to herself when she was over and he would sleep in his buddies room on the floor. Recently, it came to our attention he was having her sleep in the same bed with him. How long this has been going on is unknown. He has also shown no sign whatsoever of finding an apartment. It has now been 9 months. We have also had several safety concerns while she is in his care ( a babysitter who locked my daughter and her daughter outside while she got drunk) . We are also concerned about him dragging her into our arguments. If he doesn't get to do an activity with her, saying to her it is moms fault, and I am the reason she can't go, Or he wanted to do something fantastic with her, but mom won't let guilt tripping her. I feel nervous and worried whenever she goes with him. And if I voice a single concern, I get 20+ text messages of him arguing/guilt tripping me about everything. And stories about him blasting me/dragging me through the mud on his social media. Or him threatening me with his discussions with his paralegal and I am in BUG trouble.I just can't deal with him anymore,very concerned for my daughters mental and physical safety. Should I take him to court, and what for? What should I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Based upon what you shared above, you would and could try and take him back to court and modify the custody/visitation agreement. You would want to show and need to argue that at this age, the child should have her own bed to sleep in and should not be sleeping with the father and that the father should not be bad mouthing you or talking about you in front of the child. Moreover, you shared that he lies with another friend, so it is odd to have the child there with a stranger. You can ask the Judge to require that if she spends the night, he have a place of his own and/or her own room and privacy. In addition, that he not involve or blame for things, when the child is around or subject her to hear all this.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Related Family Law Questions