How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11806
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in NY and am a non custodial parent of 3 that live in

Customer Question

I live in NY and am a non custodial parent of 3 that live in CT. My oldest is 20 and a senior at the univ of California, my middle dependent lives at home in CT and attends Univ of CT, my youngest is 16 and goes to high school. Are my obligations to pay for the college education of my children enforceable by CT law even though I live in NY ? If so, what are the basics of my responsibilities ? Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Our divorce agreement expired when my oldest turned 18 in October 2013
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

1. Was there ever a court order requiring you to pay for all three of their college educations?

2. Does the divorce agreement expire only with respect to paying for the oldest's education or also with respect to the other two?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1 no. 2 I just wrote a lengthy answer but got timed out somehow. Basically I found its all covered in my divorce agreement from 2005. Didn't realize that. How about the question of me sending money direct to my son in CA verse my spouse
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick.

Note: (1) If you want legal advice, consult with a local attorney before acting or deciding not to act; information given here is for educational purposes only; (2) Most questions are answered within the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) Please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and to JA’s other site disclaimers.

As to your question about sending money directly to your son check to see if that is also covered in the agreement. If you want to upload the agreement I would be happy to look at it.

Related Family Law Questions