How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAttorney Your Own Question
FamilyAttorney, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1363
Experience:  Owner, attorney in private practice, appellate attorney, GAL & former trial lawyer, licensed for 37 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAttorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am writing this son who is between a rock and a hard spot.

Customer Question

I am writing this for my son who is between a rock and a hard spot. He has been divorced for around 5 years now and in the divorce was given the home and the daughter. It has become necessary for him to sell the house. There is a couple wanting to buy the house but his ex-wife is now refusing to sign the papers. Is there anything he can do to get this house sold?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I’m a licensed attorney with 36 years’ experience. I specialize in family law and appeals, and I have many years’ experience with landlord-tenant issues, employment and contract law.

Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an attorney on this site.

At the end of this session, I will ask you to please rate me as that’s the only way I get credit for helping you today. Thanks!

From what you're saying, the house, which was given to your son in the divorce, is still in his name and in his ex-wife's name? Her name was never taken off the house?

If not that means she would be entitled to usually half of the proceeds of the house, although a court could award a different percentage.

If she is refusing to sign the papers, he's going to need a lawyer to bring the case back to court to compel her to sign. I don't know why she's holding this up but that's the corner she put him in now--he has to take legal action to get her to sign.

If you would like the names of family lawyers in your area, just let me know, unless you already have one.

Otherwise I'm happy to provide you with names.

Does this answer your question?

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.

As indicated above, she is going to have to be ordered to sign it or she could lose some of her rights to proceeds of the house ($). A family lawyer can help your son get this done.

Let me know if you want me to find a family lawyer for you in your area. I would need to know the biggest city/town near you so I can find lawyers for you. I do this free of charge for my customers here, and while we're not allowed to recommend a specific attorney, I can point you in the right direction. I do this for my customers here to help them (you) because many times people need help with this.

Does this answer your question? Remember, I want to help you!

Please let me know if you need any more information, such as where to find an attorney in your area, or anything else related to this question. Id' rather be rated positively and if I didn't answer all of your questions, I'd like to have a chance to make sure that I do. Thanks in advance for rating me. If you need more information, let me know as I’m happy to give it.

I hope this helps and clarifies. If you could, I'd appreciate it if you can rate me when finished. Kindly rate me positively so that I can get credit. It is no additional charge to you.

Please accept my answer, rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you and with your question. I work hard to give you a thorough and honest answer. I thank you in advance for rating me. Please let me know if there is more that I can do to answer your question and if you need more information. If not, I thank you for your rating. I can’t get credit for answering your question without your fair and honest rating. Thank you and best of luck to you!

We are not employees of Just Answer but are independent contractors, so your rating is very important to us so that we can be reimbursed for our work. Thank you!

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.

Hi, just checking in to see if you still need help with your question and if my answer was helpful for you. Thanks and thank you for allowing me to help you.


Related Family Law Questions