How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TJ, Esq. Your Own Question
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12207
Experience:  JD, MBA
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
TJ, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My boyfriend and I have a house under the title, tenant with

Customer Question

My boyfriend and I have a house under the title , tenant with the right of survivalship . I've being with him 12 years , his living in N, j. And I am living here at the house in Sarasota . We are ending our relationship . What's my rigths ?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Sarasota , Florida
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No , he chase me out of the house in N.j.. So I drove here because , I shouldn't be asking no one to house me .
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Can I stay here , since he can afford both houses ? He's emocionally abusive and I can't live like that any more . I want to be able to stablish residency here , I'm looking for work at this time
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

If I understand you correctly, you both own the house as tenants with the right of survivorship. If so, that means that you are both equal owners with equal rights to the house. The language "with the right of survivorship" means that if one of you were to die, then the other would immediately, by operation of law, become the full owner of the property without probate. For example, if he were to die in a car accident tomorrow, then you are the full owner of the property even if his Will states that he is giving his ownership interest in the property to somebody else. The Will would be irrelevant in this situation.

As for where you can stay, you can go back to the house that you co-own if you would like. As mentioned above, you have equal rights to be there.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 12 months ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue. If not, then please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so I greatly appreciate it). Thank you!