How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6391
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can you transfer schools in La. due to bullying and

Customer Question

How can you transfer schools in La. due to bullying and several threats physical harm.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick.

Note: (1) If you want legal advice, consult with a local attorney before acting or deciding not to act; information given here is for educational purposes only; (2) Most questions are answered within the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) Please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and to JA’s other site disclaimers.

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.


Here are the reporting rules if your meeting with the school officials fails to produce results:

A student, parent/legal guardian, or school employee may report a bullying incident to the LEA (city, parish, or local school board or local school governing authority) if the school official does not take timely and effective action to address the incident. The LEA or governing authority must begin an investigation of any complaint of bullying that is properly reported the next business day in which school is in session. If the governing authority does not take timely and effective action, the student, parent, or other school employee may report the bullying incident to the Louisiana Department of Education.

Here is how you can secure a transfer:

The parent of a bullied student may request a transfer to another school if a parent, teacher, or other school official has made four or more reports of separate instances of bullying and no investigation has occurred. The local education agencies [LEA] must make space available for the student at another public elementary or secondary school under its jurisdiction within ten school days of the transfer request. If no other school that serves the bullied student’s grade level is available within fifteen days of the transfer request, the superintendent or head of the LEA must facilitate the student’s enrollment in a statewide virtual school or offer the student placement in a full-time virtual program or virtual school. The LEA may enter into a memorandum of understanding with another LEA to secure placement and transfer for the bullied student. If none of the options above are made available to the student within thirty days after the transfer request is made, the parent may request a hearing with the school’s governing authority. The hearing must be granted for the next scheduled meeting or within sixty calendar days, whichever is sooner.

Related Family Law Questions