How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask KimberlyLaw Your Own Question
KimberlyLaw, Lawyer and Real Estate Broker
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 4219
Experience:  13 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
KimberlyLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ok I went through a horrible bitter divorce a year ago. we

Customer Question

ok I went through a horrible bitter divorce a year ago. we are two doctors that worked together in same was verbally abusive and I had to ask the court to have him not work in the office until things were settled...well to make a long story short I had a restrain order against him and one night he called me my mother and my lawyer threaning us so my lawyer called the cops and he got arrested went to jail etc it was a mess. We finally got divorced very bitter its been a year. We were married 17 years had no children. At times we need to speak to each other about the shared patients we had and is very difficult. I personally do not feel scared I do not believe he would hurt me. How do I ask the court do the protective order he accepted instead of going to jail when he broke the restrain order. thank you
JA: Has anything been filed in court yet?
Customer: no not yet. I do not want my lawyer to know he was a horrible lawyer..
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no I would like to handle this myself ...I am sick of lawyers (sorry) I lost lost of money during my divorce and got no protection at all.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Can I call the family adovocate office and ask to lift the order?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am an attorney and am happy to assist you today.

The answer is yes and no. Yes, you can ask the court to lift the order. However, the judge still has the right to leave the order in place even if you choose to life it. It isn't a matter of just whether you want the order, it's also a matter of whether the court feels that he is unsafe and could harm you.

So you should make the request to life the order and then the judge will make that decision. Most likely if you want it lifted the court will lift it.

Please let me know if you have any questions about this.

Thank you,


Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 1 year ago.

Hi, just checking to see if you have any follow up questions before we close out the question.

If you are all set, please be sure to rank my answers in the top 3 positive ratings, which will give me credit for my work here with you today.

Thanks and take care,


Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I see this question is still open.

I work really hard on this site full time to give people great legal information for a low fee. If you don't close the question with positive feedback, the system may keep your money and I don't get paid.

I appreciate your assistance.