How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6390
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds


Customer Question

Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick.

Note: (1) If you want legal advice, consult with a local attorney before acting or deciding not to act; information given here is for educational purposes only; (2) Most questions are answered within the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) Please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and to JA’s other site disclaimers.

*Can you please give us more background information so we can better assist you?

*Can you please state your specific legal question so we know what type of answer you are looking for?

*What have you tried on this front so far?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We live in New Jersey. Planning a wedding. Considering getting married in Turks & Caicos islands. Is there any legal downside as far as the marriage being recognized in the US? Is the marriage recognized everywhere, assuming it is performed by a person locally certified to do so in Turks & Caicos? I'm not sure how else to ask that. I guess i just need to know if I should have any concerns about not getting married in the country where we are permanent legal residents. Thank you
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Typically, unless the marriage you are planning to have overseas breaks U.S. state laws, marriages which are legally performed and valid abroad are also legally valid in the United States. I am not aware of a procedure by which to "register" a foreign marriage with U.S. authorities. You can, however, get your marriage certificate authenticated at the consular office, but if the certificate is already certified by the issuing authority, then further authentication is not really required by U.S. officials.

Related Family Law Questions