How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6391
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am divorced. My boyfriend is at the end of s divorce (they

Customer Question

I am divorced. My boyfriend is at the end of his divorce (they are waiting to sign paperwork once it's drawn up and on a court date). My son and I are planning to move in to his house in 2 weeks, before the divorce is final. My ex husband is now threatening to take me to court for full custody of our son because of this situation. Claiming it is 'morally and religiously wrong'. Is there a legal basis for his actions?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick.

Note: (1) If you want legal advice, consult with a local attorney before acting or deciding not to act; information given here is for educational purposes only; (2) Most questions are answered within the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) Please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and to JA’s other site disclaimers.

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Generally, if a judge finds that your cohabitation could have a negative impact on your child, the judge may modify the original child custody award. For example, if the evidence shows that the child is aware of his the details of his parent's intimate conduct, this could be viewed negatively. But, let me see if IL law says anything specifically on this issue and I will be back.

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Here is an IL Supreme Court case that you may want to read. The upshot is "Parental conduct that does not adversely affect the child is not to be considered in the custody determination. Hence, evidence of a mother’s “immoral intimacy” may be deemed insignificant if there is no indication that the child’s welfare is endangered. Although it is improper for a court to presume harm to a child based on the parent’s allegedly immoral conduct, evidence bearing on the stability of the child’s environment is obviously relevant.”

What the court is saying is that cohabitation in and of itself is no longer a grounds for changing custody; but if the cohabitation negatively impacts the child, it can be.